Award of Excellence: Education
The Education Award of Excellence recognizes two AWHONN members each year who made a significant educational contribution to the specialty of women’s health, obstetric or neonatal nursing. The Scholarly Education Award of Excellence and the Clinical Education Award of Excellence are presented at the national convention each year.
The two categories include scholarly education and clinical education in an inpatient, outpatient and/or community-based setting. Current members of the Board of Directors may identify potential applicants although they are not authorized to nominate or submit reference letters for candidates. Candidates must be nominated by an AWHONN member.
Applications will be processed and considered when a completed application is received. See components necessary for completion of application for additional details.
- Registered nurse; current or retired
- Full AWHONN member for at least three years prior to nomination
- In the year of nomination, full or specialty membership is required
- Contribute to the knowledge base of women’s health, obstetric and/or newborn nursing care.
- Improve the practice of professional nursing through teaching excellence; such as conveying complex concepts in a simplistic manner, innovative methods, incorporating evidence-based practice standards, interprofessional education, and/or using a collaborative approach.
- Identify the candidate’s role in education that has AWHONN chapter, section, national or international implications.
- Promote excellence in others, such as encouraging opportunities for professional growth and/or evidenced based practice.
- Describe the educational contribution which promotes AWHONN’s mission and AWHONN’s commitment to evidence-based education and practice.
- Visionary and passionate regarding AWHONN and health promotion of women and newborns
- Models professional behavior
- Motivates excellence in others encouraging opportunities for growth, change and development
- Inspires confidence and celebrates the success of others above one’s own success
- Communicates complex ideas in simplistic manner
- Lives the message: creative, resourceful, confident and passionateDemonstrates the following AWHONN leadership attributes:
Components necessary for completion of application
- Application Form completed by the candidate
- Uploaded current resume/Curriculum Vitae of candidate
- Personal essay of 300 words or less from the candidate describing the contribution made in the education award category utilizing the education excellence award criteria.
- At least one reference/recommendation letter providing evidence of the education excellence award criteria.