What is the AWHONN Section Challenge?
The Challenge is grassroots, Section–led fundraising effort to support the work of AWHONN through its Every Woman, Every Baby Fund. Section support is critical to AWHONN’s efforts to improve and promote the health of women and newborns and to strengthen the nursing profession.
Since the launch of Every Woman, Every Baby in 2013, every year, AWHONN Sections have raised funds to help support lifelong learning for nurses, research that leads to improving nursing practice and patient care, and education and activities that provide information and resources for women and their families.
Click Here to view Every Woman, Every Baby’s funding Distribution in 2019
Challenge Dates: January 1 – December 31
Previous Challenge Winners:
2019: California and Connecticut
2018: California and Oregon
2017: California and Oregon
2015: Oregon and Montana
2014: California and Oregon
2013: Virginia and Oregon
Why participate in the Challenge?
You could win!
Your Section could win a complimentary registration to the AWHONN Annual Convention.
Two Ways to Win: Download Flyer
1. The Section with the greatest participation rate based on a percentage of their total Section membership
2. The Section raising the most in charitable donations
All participating sections will be recognized at the Annual Convention, on the AWHONN website and Facebook pages, and in selected AWHONN publications.
The winner section for each category will select a winner to receive the complimentary registration to the AWHONN Annual Convention.
Winners must be a current member of AWHONN and made a donation in year of the Challenge.
Here are a few fundraising ideas to help you get started:
- Participate in Giving Tuesday campaigns and fundraise via Facebook
- Sell Raffle Tickets at your Section Conferences
- Offer ribbons and other items with Every Woman, Every Baby logo at your Section Conference for a donation.
- Contact local restaurants who may donate a percentage of event day sales to Every Woman, Every Baby.
- Host sporting events (5K walk/race, kickball, ultimate Frisbee, etc.)
- Host a special event (dinners, dances, silent auctions, holiday gift wrapping, etc.)
Here’s how AWHONN can help:
- Acknowledge every donation with a written thank you letter.
- Record each gift in the AWHONN database to track each Section’s fundraising total
- Pay all credit card transaction fees
- Provide donor recognition gifts
- Mail donor recognition gifts
- Register with local authorities for local fundraising events (state registration compliance)
- Provide progress reports, as requested
- Promote the events on the AWHONN website and Facebook page
- Create your Section’s own Facebook and grassroots fundraising pages
- Provide helpful tools:
- Every Woman, Every Baby Logos for use in printed materials and electronic communications
Download Color Logo
Every Woman, Every Baby PALM CARD - a handy guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is AWHONN’s Federal Tax ID Number?
A: EIN 52-1788738
Q: Is AWHONN a non-profit organization?
A: Yes – AWHONN is a 501 (c )(3) organization.
Q: Are donations tax-deductible, and will I receive a receipt?
A: Yes – most donations to AWHONN are tax-deductible and the donor will be sent a receipt. In the cases where an individual mails a personal check comprised of funds raised through an activity or fundraiser, the individual will receive a thank you note in lieu of a tax-receipt as these donations are not eligible for tax-deductibility.
Q: Can I organize a raffle or an auction to support the Challenge?
A: Regulations governing raffles and auctions differ from state to state. Please check with your State Attorney General’s office for your state regulations.
Q: When is a good time to fundraise?
A: You can fundraise at any time of year but you may wish to plan your calendar around these special dates: Year- end (Giving Tuesday through December 31st), Nurse’s Week, Mother’s Day, AWHONN Annual Convention, a special anniversary for your Section or AWHONN.
Challenge donations may be sent to AWHONN at any time throughout the year. It is not necessary to hold donations and send them all in December. AWHONN will track totals for each year and will give your Sections an update on your total raised at any time during the year.