The following positions will be available for the 2021 AWHONN Board of Directors:
- One President-Elect
- Two At-Large Directors
Candidates must have been a voting member of AWHONN at the time of their application and for two consecutive years, (i.e., dues paid in full), preceding the election and in the year of her/his election and during her/his term. A person may not simultaneously be a candidate for more than one elected office or leadership position or hold more than one such office or leadership position, regardless of whether the positions are at the national, section or chapter levels.
President-Elect 3 Year Term: 2021 President-Elect, 2022 President &2023 Chair, Nominating Committee, ex-officio member of Board
A candidate for President-Elect must have served at least one year as an elected AWHONN National Officer or Director; two years as a section chair or two years as chair of a national standing committee. Candidates should have formal management/leadership experience that has included planning, operations and fiscal responsibility, experience with managing conflict and with the counseling/coaching role, and experience with public speaking and “thinking on their feet”.
Secretary-Treasurer Term: January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2023
A candidate for Secretary/Treasurer mush have one (1) year of prior experience in a leadership role that includes budgeting responsibility and served at least one (1) year as an elected AWHONN National Officer or Director (or prior to 1998 as an “officer” or “Executive Board member”); or two years in an elected Section office (or prior to 1998 in an elected District or Section office); Two years as a Chair or member of a national standing committee. Candidates should have experience with budgeting and financial planning. The Secretary-Treasurer shall serve a three-year term with the opportunity to run for re-election for a second three-year term.
Directors 3 Year Term: January 1, 2021- December 31, 2023
Candidates for director must have prior leadership experience. The term of office for directors is three years with the opportunity to run for re-election for a second three-year term. The average monthly time commitment for a director is 3 hours/month.
Attributes of Board Members
- The ability to think strategically & analytically & to effectively communicate input with rationale.
- Earned respect of other key stakeholder group members.
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority & an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision.”
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty.
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the process for which the group is responsible as well as the substantive content of the subject area within which decisions & choices will have to be made.
The governance of AWHONN is vested in the Board of Directors. The Board, among other functions: (1) assures effective leadership and sound management of the association by establishing strategic direction and engaging in strategic planning; (2) establishes policies and positions; (3) conducts and oversees all business required to carry out the mission and goals of the association; (4)Set priorities for core programs and positions, and fiscal functions; (5) creates advisory panels, standing committees and ad hoc committees, defining their duties and scope, and (6) approves national election slate.
Application Process and Timeline
- The deadline to submit a complete online application is Friday, March 24, 2020. For assistance please contact LaRhonda Usher at Lusher@awhonn.org or toll-free US (800) 673-8499 x. 2441.
- Applicants must be full voting members at the time of their application, have been full voting members for at least two years and membership dues must be paid in full prior to submitting their online application and for the duration of their term if elected.
- Headquarters confirms the applicant’s eligibility on receipt of application materials.
- Final application materials for eligible candidates are submitted to the national Nominating Committee for review. Interviews by way of Video Conference are scheduled early April. The Nominating Committee meets in April to select the slate of candidates and submits the proposed slate to the Board of Directors for approval. Applicants are notified of the Board’s decision late April.
- Headquarters creates a Candidate Profile for those applicants selected to be on the slate and submits the draft to the candidate for approval.
- Candidates are introduced via the AWHONN website, social media platforms, and at the annual convention.
- The election for national positions is held electronically late August through early September.
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete online application. The application consists of the following:
- AWHONN Online Application for Board of Directors including bio-sketch
- Resume or CV
- Candidate is responsible for seeking three (3) references and uploading the form and grid provided in the online packet. One reference needs to be from an AWHONN leader excluding current members of the Board of Directors, Nominating Committee or AWHONN staff
- Sign and submit copy of Policies on Avoidance of Conflict of Interest, Loyalty and Confidentiality, Copyright Assignment and Disclosure
- Sign and submit copy of Principles on Ethical Governance
- Sign and submit copy of Honorarium Policy
- Applicants must upload one color photograph in JPG format at least 150 pixels in width
- Letter of support from current employer
Please be thorough in completing and submitting your online application by the deadline date of Midnight (EST) Friday, March 27, 2020.