2021 Board of Directors Call- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 30, 2020
Applications are open for the 2021 Board of Directors. We know that so many of you are busy in your hospitals and institutions taking care of people with COVID-19. We heard you and are extending the DEADLINE TO APRIL 30. We are also streamlining the process to ease the burden on nominees.
The Board of Directors plays a vital role within the association, contributing their knowledge and expertise in various areas that will be useful in strengthening and expanding AWHONN. If you have been involved in a committee, Section leadership, or perhaps leadership in another organization, please consider applying. The following positions are open for 2021:
- One President-Elect
- Two At-Large Directors
We are streamlining the process – here is all you have to do:
- Provide your resume or CV
- Give us (3) names of references. One name needs to be from an AWHONN leader excluding current members of the Board of Directors, Nominating Committee or AWHONN staff
- Sign and submit copy of Policies on Avoidance of Conflict of Interest, Loyalty and Confidentiality, Copyright Assignment and Disclosure
- Sign and submit copy of Principles on Ethical Governance
- Sign and submit copy of Honorarium Policy
- Applicants must upload one color photograph in JPG format at least 150 pixels in width
- Letter of support from current employer
Any questions, email Rick Burt, Director of Membership at RBurt@awhonn.org.
Candidates must have been a voting member of AWHONN at the time of their application and for two consecutive years, (i.e., dues paid in full), preceding the election and in the year of her/his election and during her/his term. A person may not simultaneously be a candidate for more than one elected office or leadership position or hold more than one such office or leadership position, regardless of whether the positions are at the national, section or chapter levels.
President-Elect Three-Year Term: 2021 President-Elect, 2022 President & 2023 Past President (ex-officio member of the Board) and Chair, Nominating Committee
A candidate for President-Elect must have served at least one year as an elected AWHONN National Officer or Director; two years as a section chair or two years as chair of a national standing committee. Candidates should have formal management/leadership experience that has included planning, operations and fiscal responsibility, experience with managing conflict and with the counseling/coaching role, and experience with public speaking and “thinking on their feet.”
Secretary-Treasurer Term: January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2023
A candidate for Secretary/Treasurer mush have one (1) year of prior experience in a leadership role that includes budgeting responsibility and served at least one (1) year as an elected AWHONN National Officer or Director (or prior to 1998 as an “officer” or “Executive Board member”); or two years in an elected Section office (or prior to 1998 in an elected District or Section office); Two years as a Chair or member of a national standing committee. Candidates should have experience with budgeting and financial planning. The Secretary-Treasurer shall serve a three-year term with the opportunity to run for re-election for a second three-year term.
Directors 3 Year Term: January 1, 2021- December 31, 2023
Candidates for director must have prior leadership experience. The term of office for directors is three years with the opportunity to run for re-election for a second three-year term. The average monthly time commitment for a director is 3 hours/month.
Attributes of Board Members
- The ability to think strategically & analytically & to effectively communicate input with rationale.
- Earned respect of other key stakeholder group members.
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority & an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision.”
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty.
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the process for which the group is responsible as well as the substantive content of the subject area within which decisions & choices will have to be made.
The governance of AWHONN is vested in the Board of Directors. The Board, among other functions: (1) assures effective leadership and sound management of the association by establishing strategic direction and engaging in strategic planning; (2) establishes policies and positions; (3) conducts and oversees all business required to carry out the mission and goals of the association; (4)Set priorities for core programs and positions, and fiscal functions; (5) creates advisory panels, standing committees and ad hoc committees, defining their duties and scope, and (6) approves national election slate.